HDMI port disabled at boot time

AM06 PRO AMD Ryzen 4800U 5600U 5500U 5625U 5560U
fparodi

HDMI port disabled at boot time

Post by fparodi »

Hello folks,
I just got my miniPC with Win11 and I tried to install Ubuntu on top of it to have a dual boot system.
One of the very first step is to config in Bios the boot sequence so that the miniPC can boot from my USB thumb drive and install Ubuntu.
I tried to enter in the Bois setup from both inside Win11 (Settings->Recovery->Reboot) and DEL key at boot time. The system responded at reboot time with a blank screen and it seemed hanged. Monitor reported no connection.
After a few investigations I realized my HDMI port didn't get initialized at reboot and so I was seeing a blank screen even if the system was waiting for my selection. Moving my monitor to the USB-C port fixed the problem.
IMO this is a bug, but I was wondering if anyone else experienced the same problem.
Thanks in advance
Fabio
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: HDMI port disabled at boot time

Post by Gabe »

I see this problem with both my AMR5 and AM06 Pro, which share similar components and the same CPU. However, only on one monitor. Both my older Dell monitor and my Amazon Fire TV show the BIOS without issue, but my Acer SB220Q monitor doesn't. I believe the problem is that my Acer monitor doesn't detect the PC's display output at boot up because, at that point, the PC is using a more basic display driver. I don't have this problem with any of my other PC's, just those two.

Unfortunately, I don't know if it's something that can be fixed with a BIOS update. I'm not that versed on how the initial, basic display driver actually works, as in whether it's an embedded type of thing that can't be updated or if it's a part of the firmware the BIOS runs on. It'd be nice if it could be fixed, that's for sure. It's a pain having to switch to another monitor or my TV if I need to do something in the BIOS.

That's interesting about the USB-C port. I'll have to get a USB-C to HDMI adapter to see if that would solve the problem with mine, as my Acer monitor doesn't have a USB-C port.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
fparodi

Post by fparodi »

My monitor is an Acer and in its life was connected to a Mac, Windows PC and Linux Server systems with no problems.
Just FYI.In my opinion HDMI port doesn't require additional HW between the video controller and the port so I can't understand why doesn't work. USB devices on the other side require a lot of software to be detected and configured.
Cheers
Fabio
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

Now that's interesting. Both with Acer monitors and seeing the same problem. I too have used my monitor with a Mac, other Windows PCs and a PC running Linux, though not as a server. Actually, my main computer is an M1 Mac Mini, which is what I'm using right now with the monitor.

There's just something about those two PCs that this monitor doesn't like. When I got the AM06 Pro and saw the same thing as with the AMR5 I wasn't exactly surprised. Even when I was ordering it I considered that it might do the same thing, with the two being similar.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
element5

Post by element5 »

Ein ähnliches Problem hatte ich auch mit dem AM06-Pro-Ryzen7-5800U. Beim Versuch von einem Stick zu booten, um als erstes ein Macrium Backup zu erstellen, war am "ACER VG270 Monitor eine Info zu lesen: "Falsche Frequenz" Ich habe mehre einige Jahre alte ATX Motherboards. Aber dieses Problem tritt leider nur mit diesen schönen MiniPC auf.
Ich habe dieses "Spielzeug" leider zurückschicken müssen.
Frage: Gibt es dafür eine Lösung ohne einen neuen Monitor zu kaufen? Wenn ja, dann würde ich mir ihn noch einmal bei Amazon bestellen.
Grüsse
barry777

Post by barry777 »

I tried,
If two monitors are connected or a video capture card is used, only one monitor displays the BIOS content; if there is no display at all, it is recommended to re-plug the HDMI cable.
barry777

Post by barry777 »

element5 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:11 pm Ein ähnliches Problem hatte ich auch mit dem AM06-Pro-Ryzen7-5800U. Beim Versuch von einem Stick zu booten, um als erstes ein Macrium Backup zu erstellen, war am "ACER VG270 Monitor eine Info zu lesen: "Falsche Frequenz" Ich habe mehre einige Jahre alte ATX Motherboards. Aber dieses Problem tritt leider nur mit diesen schönen MiniPC auf.
Ich habe dieses "Spielzeug" leider zurückschicken müssen.
Frage: Gibt es dafür eine Lösung ohne einen neuen Monitor zu kaufen? Wenn ja, dann würde ich mir ihn noch einmal bei Amazon bestellen.
Grüsse
At present, we have not collected related questions about this fault, thank you for your feedback.
I suggest you refer to the steps,
1. Check the BIOS settings
The first step, you need to enter the BIOS settings, check your memory and CPU configuration is correct. If it is not set correctly, it may cause the computer to start to display the problem of exceeding the frequency. Therefore, you need to set it according to your own memory and CPU model to ensure compatibility between them. (Try restoring BIOS defaults)
2. Check the power plug
If the BIOS settings are correct, then you can check whether the power plug is connected correctly. Poor connection of the power plug may cause the computer to start to display the problem of exceeding the frequency. If the power plug is badly connected, then it is best to replace it with a new one to make sure it works properly.
3. Check hardware failure
If the BIOS settings and power plug are correct, then you may consider checking your hardware for failure. Occasionally, a hardware failure can cause the computer to start displaying out of frequency issues. Therefore, you can check whether your computer's memory, CPU, graphics card, etc. are faulty. If there is a fault, it is recommended to contact us as soon as possible.
4. Reinstall the original system
If you have checked the BIOS settings, the power plug and the hardware are all OK, but you still have the problem that the computer starts to display exceeding the frequency, then it is best to consider reinstalling the system. Reinstalling the system can solve many problems caused by system reasons that the computer boot display exceeds the frequency.
RedLobster

Post by RedLobster »

I seem to have the same problem. I'm using an ‎AM06PRO with a dell/alienware AW3821DW monitory I've tested both HDMI and Displayport.

Windows boots fine but trying to get into Bios results in no picture on monitor and it going to standby a few seconds later. Never experienced this before.

Will have to return the AM06PRO as this isn't usable.

EDIT: Found in another forum post that holding DELETE during boot puts you into bios. This seems to have worked for me, and I do now get output on my connected monitor. Weird. Silent boot was the first thing I disabled.

EDIT2: Nope, the DELETE method no longer works, and no matter what I do, the screen goes to standby with no picture.

Return to “AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600U(AM06 AM07 &PRO Series)”