T8Pro and Ubuntu 22.04

kngstnguy

T8Pro and Ubuntu 22.04

Post by kngstnguy »

I bought the T8Pro on Amazon, and it arrived yesterday. Today I unboxed it, connected my external monitor, keyboard and mouse, and installed Ubuntu 22.04 on it.

Its been randomly freezing and then rebooting, right after the installation. I don't know how it performed with the Windows 11 Pro it came with - I installed Linux on it without booting up to that.

Any thoughts? I would have thought that Ubuntu wouldn't have any problems with it.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: T8Pro and Ubuntu 22.04

Post by Gabe »

Unfortunately, without having tried the unit while it had Windows 11 on it, it's difficult to determine whether there's a problem with the unit itself or a problem with Ubuntu 22.04 on the unit. The support for these units with a Linux distro installed, especially when it's a fairly new model like this, is a bit sparse. Some people on this forum do have a good amount of experience with Linux distros on these mini PCs, but again, with this being a newer model it's a bit lacking.

Though I know it's a giant pain to have to do so, I would try reinstalling Windows 11 and the drivers and see if it operates properly with that. This way the unit itself could be ruled in or out as the problem. If it's not the problem, the work can begin to determine why the unit is having a problem with Ubuntu.

However, at this point there is no Windows 11 system installation file yet listed on the forum for the T8 Pro, and the Admin won't be back on until Monday. If you know how to create Windows installation media using the Media Creation Tool available from Microsoft, and you also know how to perform a clean install of Windows using that installation media, this is what I would do. As for the driver package, I'll list that below, as at least that has been posted on the forum. Then see how it runs with Windows 11.

Here are the drivers for the T8 Pro for Windows 11...

If you'd rather wait until the Admin is back to see if he may have some suggestions, or even to get the Windows system installation they will offer, you can certainly do so. Barry777, a tech for this manufacturer, may also have some suggestions. Like the Admin, he likely won't be back on until Monday.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
kngstnguy

Post by kngstnguy »

Thank you for your suggestion Gabe!

I did download the Windows 11 installation media from Microsoft earlier today, and I've also downloaded the driver package. I'd emailed their support group yesterday looking to get the product ID for Windows 11 Pro since I couldn't find it anywhere. I DID boot the machine up in Windows yesterday just to get a look at the new desktop (my first reaction was similar to Phoebe's on Friend's with "My eyes! My eyes!") but it wasn't on for much longer than 15 minutes before I decided to install Ubuntu.

I've been considering installing Ubuntu 20.04, but I think I'll skip that and start the reinstall later today. I've been moving stuff into a new server cabinet today so I'm looking to do something a bit "mindless" once thats done :)

I ordered a AK2 Pro earlier today too (Amazon Canada had a $55 off coupon for it)...
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

The Windows Product Key is embedded in the BIOS, so when you boot into Windows after installation and connect to the net, it should automatically Activate. And yeah, the desktop does take a bit of getting used to with the way they switched things around.

I almost got one of those AK2 Pro models, but with the T8 Pro already having the N5095 CPU I wanted to try something a little different, so I ended up getting an AD03 instead. The AK2 Pro is a nice one though. And, though I'm not positive of this, I think it might even support NVMe drives in its m.2 slot.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
kngstnguy

Post by kngstnguy »

Just as an update, I installed Windows 11 Pro back on it, and installed the drivers. Left it on for about 8 hours, and had absolutely no problems.

I reinstalled Linux 22.04 (on an external SSD this time), and the freezing problems came back. I forgot to mention in my original post that sometimes, after a minute or two of it freezing, the screen would go black and then system would restart, but not always.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

That's good. So that rules out the unit itself having an issue. So, now it's just figuring out what it is about the Ubuntu installation it's having a problem with. Though I've used Linux distros, I'm not at all versed in them, but a few people on here are. I hope they can help to figure out what the problem is so you can use it without issue.

For reference, you should be able to post freely now, not needing post approval. 🙂
barry777

Post by barry777 »

We have installed and verified the Ubuntu 20.04 system, and there are related installation videos, which you can use as a reference.
Ubuntu 20.04 system:
Ubuntu system installation video:
Ubuntu install wifi driver:
bs78704

Post by bs78704 »

just installed today. as dual boot. no issues at all
Linux xxxx 5.15.0-72-generic #79-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 19 08:22:18 UTC 2023 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

i compressed the windows partition to half, went throught ubuntu server (desktop also works) took the unused space, created lvm and installed

works fine
gragia79

Post by gragia79 »

Can you tell me what driver you used for Linux.
With Debian 11 or 12 it doesn't even detect HD, and probably not even the network card.

Return to “N5095(T8Pro)”