DEVICE BOOT SELECTION

MacPhisto

DEVICE BOOT SELECTION

Post by MacPhisto »

How do I select an external USB device to boot from instead of the internal SSD please ?
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: DEVICE BOOT SELECTION

Post by Gabe »

You can change the boot order in the BIOS. Press the Del key on startup to get into the BIOS.

You can also choose it for only that session in the Boot Menu, which you can access by pressing F7 on startup.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
MacPhisto

Post by MacPhisto »

Despite pressing F7 to get into the boot menu on startup and having three external USB devices connected I only see the option to boot from 1 the internal SSD, I seem unable to select the external USB boot devices from within the BIOS....any advice please ?
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

Are the external devices USB flash drives or USB HDD/SSD? Is it an OS you're trying to boot to on the USB device(s)?

If it's an HDD/SSD, this may be the problem, as booting to a USB HDD/SSD can be tricky, depending on what it is on the disk.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
MacPhisto

Post by MacPhisto »

The USB devices are not recognised in the BIOS...but are visible in Windows...I have both a USB thumb drive and an external SSD connected via USB. On the USB stick I have a version of Linux I wish to boot from. Any advice please ? I would expect to see the devices listed in the device boot selection screen when starting up with F7 pressed but they are not...
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

The USB flash drive with Linux should definitely be listed, or at least I've always seen them listed in the BIOS when I've had a live Linux distro on one. I'm not on my GK3 Pro right now, but I'm going to check with mine and see if I can see my USB flash drive with Linux Mint in the BIOS and the F7 menu. I'll edit this post after I do.

Again, with the SSD it can be tricky, and it's all dependent on what's on it and how it's on it, but I'm woefully ignorant when it comes to this type of issue.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject will reply and be able to help you. You can also reach out to after sales support at support@kamrui.com to see if they can help.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

Update: I tried both Ubuntu on a USB flash drive and Linux Mint on a micro SD card in a USB adapter, and both showed in the BIOS and in the F7 Boot Menu. Because I've had both of them for a couple of years I downloaded the newest version of Ubuntu and, using Rufus, created a new bootable drive. I tried it and it was the same as the others, with it showing in both the BIOS and the F7 Boot Menu. I also booted into all three of them, separately of course, though I think the newest version of Ubuntu might be a little too heavy for my liking with the GK3 Pro, or it could have just been that it runs slower from a USB flash drive. I normally use Linux Mint MATE for this kind of thing.

Just in case, are you sure the Linux is installed on the flash drive properly, as in a bootable manner?

Return to “N5105(GK3pro)”